"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies"

Music and literature and wildlife are my three passions. I write and I edit, since retiring from teaching 'cello in my working life. Love both. I revise his English editions for a Spanish author and he revises my writing. Mark and I have a smallholding in deepest Wales. I have two sons, two daughters in law, two granddaughters and one great grandson. You are only as old as you feel. Currently I am about five years old. There are never enough hours in the day.

An Episode of Sparrows by Rumer Godden

An Episode of Sparrows: A Virago Modern Classic (VMC) - Rumer Godden

Since my computer is misbehaving and we had no power over the Christmas period, the weather was atrocious and Mark was ill, but we had lights, I spent a lot of time reading. I decided to revisit books I read in my teens. I suspect I read this one when I was about twelve first, and remembered it with affection, although as usual with no recollection of the contents.
I agree almost completely with Andrew Smith's review and will not rewrite it in less good terms. However I found the ending too unlikely now - [spoiler alert!]it seems more likely the family would get such a will overturned. [end of spoiler]
Perhaps age has made a cynic of me! Lovejoy is a delight still and there are touching moments, but unlike one reviewer I cannot see this as having anything in common with chicklit! A delightful step back into my youth. More to come...

Into Danger: Risking Your Life for Work